Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Thursday, April 21, 2011

21 April 1861

Sunday, 21st Cloudy in the forenoon, but fair most of the day; windy and dusty. I attended church to day at the old Union church. Heard Elder H. W. Mitchel preach at 11 A.M. Several were present that had enlisted and the Elder preached a sermon for our benefit. I enjoyed it much. At 4 P. M. I heard Elder Hidgely preach at the same place, then bid friends farewell. I had a mournful time. I spent the day mostly in company with Elder Mitchel. Had a very profitable visit with him. Took tea with C. Rayhill's . Practiced my salutes and went to Mascoutah. Attended church there. Had service, then made a few remarks. Stopped with H. C. Fike.

1 comment:

  1. Henry Clay Fike and Loren Webb were close friends and business partners; Fike acted as Webb's mentor, paid Webb's tuition, and Fike's sister was married to Charles Rayhill.

    ReplyDelete