Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Sunday, October 30, 2011

30 October 1861

October, Wednesday, 30th 1861 Pleasant. E.I.R.B. II Cron. 28th Phil. 2d. Nothing very [interesting] to day except the burial of some of our boys. L. Demnegan was buried to day, also another man of co. G. which is the 3d this week. This evening I spent reading the History of England and as I sat reading about 9 P.M. when all was still, the band of the 11th Ind. reg. began to play old Hundred. They played it beautifully and as the sound arose on the still night air nearly 1/2 mile distant, it excited my feelings of adoration. I thought I had never before heard such music.

[orders and circulars Loren would, or should, have seen concurrent with his diary entries...]
General Order No. 25, Head Quarters 9th Regiment Ill Vols, Paducah, Ky, Oct 30th, 1861
The commanders of the several companies in the regiment will parade their respective commands prepared for muster and inspection.  Accoutrements, knapsacks &c, &c, before regimental head quarters at 7½ o'clock A.M. on the 31st inst.
By order of Aug Mersy, Lt. Col Com.

No comments:

Post a Comment