Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

1 May 1862


May, Thursday, 1st 1862 Pleasant. This morning after breakfast, I took the cars for St. Louis. Arrived here at 8½ A.M. The steamer Champion was about starting and I got aboard. The Champion had been set apart for Gov. Yates of Ills. and his suite. I had not time to procure passes before starting so I applied to the Gov. to give me a pass and he did so. I saw and talked with the secretary of Ills., Mr. Hatch, also Judge Moses. In the evening Senator Harlan's wife, of Iowa, introduced herself to me and I had quite a talk with her, also Mrs. Phales of Washington City. They are both engaged in the Hospital department. Our trip to day was very pleasant and beautiful. When we stopped to wood the Gov. and several other gents and ladies took a walk on the shore and gathered some May flowers. In the eve the ladies sung and all was nice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment