Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Thursday, May 31, 2012

31 May 1862

Saturday, 31st Pleasant. E.I.R.B. Nahum 1-2d. This morning early we marched, but could not go fast because the trains were slow. We stopped about noon and I went to the 4 Minn. and saw my brother Luther, the first time for 10 months. I learned that my brother-in-law George Van Syckle had died about two weeks since at Hamburg Landing. I was very [sad] to learn this, but he was much loved by all. My brother is well and is well liked. I saw Mr. Brinkerhoof and several others. His son was also there. They are in the 48 Ind. My brother is of co. D. We had some skirmishing with the enemy's rear guard to day. We had two or three killed. Gen. Paine has the advance.

[Record of Events, Field & Staff and Companies, 9 Reg't Ill Inf]

May 31 In obedience to Brig Orders the Regt marched forward about 3 miles today and went into camp near the Mobile & Ohio R. R. track.

No comments:

Post a Comment