Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Monday, May 7, 2012

7 May 1862


Wednesday, 7th Pleasant. E.I.R.B. Proverbs 11th, 12-13-14-15. To day is warm and very pleasant. The forest is green and beautiful. I am officer of the day to day. My foot is not well but I have reported myself for duty as officers are scarce in the regt. Gen. Davis's Division was reviewed this afternoon. I saw and had quite an interview with Mr. J. W. Cavill this eve. The rumor is here that Yorktown has been evacuated. I feel quite lonely to day and busied myself by writing letters to some friends and walking out to look over toward the enemy. The sight is beautiful as ridge after ridge appears in view.

Cavill was a student at McKendree College with Loren.
He also served in several units including the 66 ILL Inf.

[Orders and circulars Loren would, or should, have seen concurrent with his diary entries...]

Head Qrs. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division. Monterey May 7th, 1862
General Order No 11 } There will be a review of the Troops of this Command at 2 o'clock. Each regiment will form on its own color line at 1 P.M. uniform complete except knapsacks and await further orders. The order for review will be 9th, 12th Ill, 13th, 14th Mo, & 81st Ohio Regts.
By order R. I. Oglesby, Brig. Genl Comdg.

No comments:

Post a Comment