Search The Diary of Loren Webb

Friday, May 25, 2012

25 May 1862

Sunday, 25th Pleasant, but a little cooler than usual. E.I.R.B. Ezk. from 30th to the close (48) chapt. This morning at 8 A.M. I am to report as Brigade officer of the day. I have never officiated in that capacity before. The pickets are skirmishing very briskly this morning and I shall be apt to have an interesting time. I had hoped that I might not be on duty to day so that I could devote the day to meditation and prayer, and reading the Bible, but the day must now be all confusion. As I sit here and listen to the firing of guns and the commotion of the army, my heart yearns for a quiet retreat to spend the Holy day. Oh that I could go to the sanctuary with the friends of my Master, the people of God. 0, that I could this morning have the invitation and truly my heart would respond. I was glad when they said unto me come let us go into the house of the Lord. War with all its horrors is upon us, and duty has thrown me into its trail, but my bible says, that God never loses sight of his children. Then I will erect a place of worship in the grove and my heart shall praise the Lord, though I hear the confusion of war. I have many recollections of home this morning, and of my dear sainted mother. I should like to embrace my aged father, my dear sisters and brothers this morn and with them traverse the pleasant path that lead to the house of the Lord, but providence has directed differently. I will calmly serve my time in the army contending for righteous liberties and if it please the Lord to bring me safely through then will I sing and be glad and my heart shall praise him forever and my life shall be devoted to the cause of the Lord. I will dwell in his house continually. I took charge of the guards of the brigade at 8 A.M. and put them on post. All was quiet during the day and night. Some slight skirmishing but only one rebel hurt that we knew of and none of our men. Gen. Thomas came along, also Gen. Oglesby.

[Ezekiel 30:1 - 30:5]
The word of the Lord came to me :
"Son of man, prophesy, and say,
Thus says the Lord God :
"Wail, 'Alas for the day!'
For the day is near,
The day of the Lord is near;
It will be a day of clouds,
A time if doom for the nations.
A sword shall come from Egypt,
And anguish shall be in Ethiopia,
When the slain fall in Egypt,
And he wealth is carried away,
And he foundations are torn down.
Ethiopia, and Put, and Lud,
and all Arabia, and Libya,
and the people of the land
that is in league,
shall fall with them
by the sword."

No comments:

Post a Comment